Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day ... yup, I labored 7.3 miles

I actually slept in until 6:30 this morning and didn't run until 8:00-ish.  Even though I live in Kansas, we do have hills and finding a route longer than 1 mile that doesn't involve hills is nearly impossible.  As I'm battling hip, thigh, knee pain on my left side (which I refuse to believe could be an injury rather than annoyance) I tried to plan my 7 mile run with minimal climbing.  The first mile was great even though started with major hill the first minutes of the run.  Things started to feel painful after that but I trudged on.  I love to run and when pain, weakness or crap get involved it can just ruin a good thing. 

I generally run @ 5:00 am with the light source being my head lamp (that I wear on my waist) I can't see the hills coming up or how far to the next mile marker.  Running in daylight seems weird to me -- as I passed a number of road kill, animal poop on the road, and other sightseeing opportunities I have to wonder how many of these things I've trudged through during my past runs - YUCK!  I also tend to be out before people let their dogs out but this morning met a new group of dogs coming from the South (same direction as the wind) and I knew if I sprayed them with my 'dog spray' I'd end up blinding myself thus could become runner road kill at the hand of said dogs.  Thankfully they were more bark than bite ... naturally the terrier in the group was the last to quit the chase.  I also was thankful that the turkey vulture noshing on squashed possum wasn't interested in a skinny runner. 

Got home, checked GPS on iPhone (don't get me started on that!) and discovered that it failed me again on the distance.  I'm hoping that S gets me a Garmin for my birthday next weekend.  Please, please, please!!!!  Decided to try the ice bath routine and yup - it's shocking but does help.  So another day done and only 6 planned for tomorrow.  Rest of the day I will spend non-laboring other than giving Mindy a much needed bath.  Hope everyone else has a great day and enjoys the late summer weather we've got going on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment