Saturday, September 4, 2010

It's the beginning of a new phase --- old womanhood!

I'm currently staring down the barrel of my 49th birthday.  In my mind I'm still 30-ish but a quick glance in the mirror reflects back to me a middle age, sometime haggy face and body I barely recognize.  During my long run this morning (just 8.53 miles of 10 planned) it dawned on me that I should publicly air my last year in the 40's  and maybe others can relate.  Chances of having followers seem dim but I'm doing this more for a 'time capsule' social experiment so any readers are just 'fondant on the cake'.

I've been a runner since my early 20's -- off, on, off, on, repeat.  I also ride dressage on my painted 'pony' Artie.  Between these two activities I should be 'thin' but alas I'm still one treat away from the fat girl I used to be.  I run, ride, and clean because it burns calories to allow me to eat sugary treats!  Let's be honest - during my long runs I'm thinking about pancakes as much as I am solving the problems of the world or avoiding imaginary dogs in the road.  Think Mrs. Magoo with a head lamp, fuel belt, dog spray and cute outfits! 

Let's not belabor this further and just reflect back to 6:30 am when I started my run.  Here's a little of my thoughts along the road:  I see that one of our 'neighbors' now has dual mailboxes so it appears that the 70's era travel trailer in their 'yard' constitutes a separate dwelling - who knew! I confirm that most vehicles on the road prior to 7 am are pick up trucks, it's getting cool enough to warrant UGGS and sweats wardrobe, I think about the calories I'm burning and plan what I could eat the rest of the day, wonder if I should call Steebe at various points during the run to come pick me up because my left hip is screaming that it can go no further. Contemplate that if I did collapse during the run would I have time to throw myself off the shoulder of the road or would I face the fate of the road kill I've skipped by the past hour? 

Enough for today's random thoughts -- off to read other's blogs and find some chocolate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment